A few months ago I read a post about tiny homes and land sharing. The post prompted me to think about moving to the ranch. It’s not a feasible option right now, but it’s something I’d consider doing 5 to 10 years down the road.
There are a number of advantages and disadvantages we have considered…
1. Open space to park the tiny house
2. Being near family
3. Zero rent (as long as the tiny house is paid off)
4. Options to build a deck, a green house and space for gardening
5. Food cost would decrease
6. In alignment of long term goals
7. Close access to hiking, camping, biking, running and other outdoor activities
8. Lower cost of living
9. Cooler winters and summers
10. We could get a puppy!
1. Limited employment opportunities
3. We would need to buy a car and that would make me very very sad
4. Conservative political environment
5. Slow internet
Finding land to park a tiny house is challenging and the ranch would be a perfect parking spot. But that will have to wait a few years…
We’re moving to Portland at the end of January and might build a tiny house this year. I’m hoping we can park our little house in someone’s backyard. But, you never know what the future holds and our plans aren’t set in stone.